Saturday, February 22, 2014

Honey-Candied Kumquats


After my cover and article on honey - Bee Yourself - was published in Edible Monterey Bay's Summer 2013 issue, a few publishers sent me honey cookbooks to review. I am finally getting around to cooking from them.

I've candied lots of different fruits. But I've always used sugar. It never occurred to me to candy fruit with honey...at least not until I read The Fresh Honey Cookbook: 84 Recipes from a Beekeeper's Kitchen by Laurey Masterton.

This recipe originally used acacia honey, the featured honey varietal for March in Masterton's book. I opted to use a local pine honey. I've heard that if you eat honey from a plant or tree to which you have an allergy, your allergies will abate. I'll try anything!


Ingredients
  • 1/2 C cold water
  • 1/2 C local honey (I used pine honey)
  • 4 C halved and seeded organic kumquats

Procedure

Place the water and honey in a medium pan. Stir to combine and bring to a boil, stirring often with a spatula.

Add in the kumquats and bring back to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until the kumquats are tender and all the whites are gone. It takes approximately 20 minutes.

Keep cooking until the sauce is reduced to a thick syrup. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature. I spooned these into a sterile jar for use on our dessert later tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share Buttons