Friday, January 11, 2013

Cheeses from Around the World {Culinary Adventurers}



My boys' school has Friday afternoon elective classes. I used to teach each trimester; now I only do once a year. I've taught everything from Italian (language and culture) to ocean conservation and from silk painting to dragon legends.

This time around, I decided to do a version of our Cooking Around the World Adventure. Six weeks to eat our way around the globe. I limited it to twelve kids in grades 3 through 5.

Because I was unfamiliar with the kitchen and wanted to get the lay of the land, we did a global cheese tasting this week. Six different types, eight actual cheeses. Some made with goat's milk, some made with cow's milk. Some raw, some smoked.

I have to say that I am wildly impressed with this crew. They were inquisitive and respectful and their palates adventurous. No one asked me for American 'cheese' and their favorites ran the gamut from the brie to the gjetost.

Out of the mouths of babes budding caseophiles... [I asked them to taste, rate, and come up with adjectives to describe the cheeses.]

Here's some of what they said...

Brie (France): buttery, creamy, delicious, yummy, very squishy, runny, good, soft

Honey Bee Gouda (The Netherlands),  made with goat's milk: goatsy, smokey, not so yummy, strong, not so good

Stokes Point Smoked Cheddar (Australia), smoked on a Tasmanian hardwood: delicious, awesome, strong, like ham, weird, and fishy

Up next week: The Mediterranean


No comments:

Post a Comment

Share Buttons