Monday, June 25, 2012

Abrikossuppe (Apricot Soup) {Denmark}


Abrikossuppe (Apricot Soup). This was a must for our second Danish feast because I was intrigued by a fruit soup and because I had a bunch of angelcots - white apricots - in our fruit bowl. But I had no idea if this was, in fact, served as a starter or a dessert. I opted for the latter, serving it with strong cup of coffee.

The recipes I found utilized dried apricots; mine were fresh. Also, the recipe I found didn't have any proportions, so I made it up as I went along. Hopefully this is close to an authentic Abrikossuppe.

apricots, diced
water
organic granulated sugar
tapioca starch for thickening (the original recipe called for potato starch)

Place all of the ingredients, except for the starch, in a pot. Bring it to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer until the apricots are soft enough to mash. For a smooth soup, run the mixture through a sieve; we opted for a chunky version, mashing the apricots with a hand potato masher. Whisk in the starch and cook until it's the consistency you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share Buttons